Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Chris Dodd - is he the Dem's Trent Lott?

On April 1st, Chris Dodd, Democratic Senator from Connecticut, rose to speak on the occasion of Robert Byrd's 17,000th roll call vote in the Senate (now that's another issue - maybe for a later time) and said, "It has often been said that the man and the moment come together. I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia that he would have been a great senator at any moment. Some were right for the time. Robert C. Byrd, in my view, would have been right at any time."

At Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party, Trent Lott, Senator from Mississippi said, "I want to say this about my state. When Strom ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of him. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

Now, we all know Trent Lott had to step down from leadership, because Strom was a segregationist back in the day. But so was Byrd. This article from Walter Williams, a distinguished professor of economics, details Byrd's racisim, both then and now. He said, as an example, "Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." and in this artcle, he is quoted as saying, "I am a former kleagle of the Ku Klux Klan in Raleigh County and the adjoining counties of the state .... The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia .... It is necessary that the order be promoted immediately and in every state of the Union. Will you please inform me as to the possibilities of rebuilding the Klan in the Realm of W. Va .... I hope that you will find it convenient to answer my letter in regards to future possibilities."

Give me one good reason why the 24 inch Python shouldn't run wild on you, Chris Dodd?

AWArulz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home